Mabuhay! It means "Welcome!" in Philippines. And here, you truly are.
On Tourism Philippines Guide, you'll find friendly unbiased updated travel information for touring Philippines, what to see and what to avoid. More [+]

Importing Pets to the Philippines

Posted by on Sep 11th, 2009
Filed Under: Walkabout Pinas

Tourism Philippines Walkabout Pinas ColumnistImporting dogs and cats into the Philippines is a relatively simple and inexpensive process, especially in comparison to countries such as Australia. So animal lovers and loyal pet owners do not need to be concerned about leaving their four-legged family members behind in their home countries.

Aslan, Bringing Pets to Philippines

My Korean street cat Aslan Angma
Photo by Scott Allford

Official Documentation

If you plan to bring your pet to the Philippines with you the first thing you need to do is contact the Philippine Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI), Animal Health Division (AHD). If you know people in Manila they may be able to make the trip out to the head office which is located at Visayas Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines, for you. Otherwise you can check the website www.bai.ph (However, at the time of writing this article the site was undergoing maintenance) or contact the Bureau by Telephone +632 928 2743; or Fax +632 928 2836. What you will need to do is send a letter to the BAI Director DAVINIO P. CATBAGAN, DVM containing the following information:

1. The species and breed of your pet.
2. The sex, colour, and how many pets you are bringing. (If you are bringing more than 5 pets they will have to be inspected at the quarantine site)
3. The date you will arrive.

You will then be sent an import permit which costs 50 pesos (about US$1). You can pay this fee when you arrive at the airport or your friends in Manila can pay this for you.

Once you have that out of the way you have to organise a valid health certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian which states that your pet has been examined and is free from communicable diseases at least 10 days before the move. This is not that difficult, just ask your pet’s vet and they should be able to do this. I organised this in Korea with a vet who spoke very little English for a fee of 20,000 Won (about US$20 at the time).

If the country you are importing the pet from is not free from rabies you have to get certification stating there have been no rabies cases within a 20 kilometer radius of the pet’s home in the last 6 months. My Korean vet couldn’t do this so I went to the Icheon City Hall and they gave me this for free.

The last form you need is your pet’s vaccination card showing they have been vaccinated against the following:
rabies, canine distemper, infectious hepatitis, leptsopirosis, canine parvovirus, or feline panleucopenia and proof that your animal was treated for internal and external parasites.

Flights

Once these things are organized you’re ready to take your pet to the airport. To my knowledge, the budget airlines do not allow pets to fly. However, most major airlines will carry pets but you must inform them in advance when you book your ticket. I brought Aslan over with Asiana Airlines. For pets under 5kg you can have them in the cabin with you. Sadly, Aslan is a bit fat (close to 7kg) so he had to ride under the plane as cargo. Asiana charged 7,000 Won (About US$7 at the time) per kilogram and I didn’t actually pay anything as they gave me the option of using my frequent flyer points to cover the cost.

If you want, you can organize for your pet to be sedated for the flight as it can be stressful for them, speak to your vet and contact the airport about this. As Aslan is very sensitive to drugs I didn’t have him sedated, he was a bit frightened and unusually quiet but only took a few hours to get back to his usual habits.

On Arrival

After getting off the plane and going through Immigration you can pick up your pet with your bags. Then the Quarantine personnel will do a quick inspection of your pet. This is also when you have to present your pet’s documents and pay for the Import Permit if you haven’t already. You will also have to pay 165 pesos (About US$4) for the first 2 pets and 220 pesos for each additional pet (3 or more). In addition to this you will have to pay 50% duty of your pet’s value + 10% tax. As Aslan was a street cat I just put down that he cost US$15.

If you don’t meet any of the documentation requirements then your pet will be placed in quarantine and possibly even “disposed of”, as the BAI site so graphically states. If you can meet all of these requirements then you and your pet can leave the gritty Ninoy Aquino International Airport and go to your new home.

Aslan has settled in very well and following in my footsteps, has started to explore the Philippines himself.

Aslan, Bringing Cats to Philippines

Enjoying the view in Lipa, Batangas
Photo by Scott Allford

google custom search on Tourism Philippines

Scott M. Allford has lived and worked in Australia and South Korea and has travelled extensively throughout Asia- Mongolia, China, Tibet, Cambodia, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Indonesia and Japan – fell in love with the Philippines and decided to allocate at least two years to comprehensively cover the country. Learn more about me [+]

Tourism Philippines thrives on the knowledge of the community. Got a tip, photo or even a guide on a place you been to in Philippines? We will love to hear from you!

109 Responses to “Importing Pets to the Philippines”

1. Ryan says:

Good work! Aslan – such a fat cat….

2. Suzanne says:

Hi, this blog is very informative. Great stuff.

3. Scott says:

Thanks Suzanne. Glad to be of help.

4. Sonny says:

Hi,

I liked your post.
    We are returning to the Philippines in a few months.Worried about bringing our Husky/Malamutes in.Want to avoid the 30 day quarantine.I also wonder how they figure the value of our Pets?Any advice other then what the requirements are like you posted?

Great Post!

Sonny

5. Scott says:

Hi Sonny,

Where are you bringing your dogs from? You shouldn’t have to put them into quarantine at all. The value of your pets is 50% of what you paid for them + 10% tax.
    Before coming to the Philippines make sure you contact the airline asap and make sure the airline can carry them.
    If you have other questions please feel free to post them here.

6. tony says:

thanks scott, very useful blog.

tony

7. Ron says:

Scott, once I arrive in Manila I will then fly to Cebu and then on to Siargao.
    Do you know if there is any problem bringing a 70lb dog on these other flights?

Thanks for your insight.

Ron

8. Scott says:

Hi Ron,

As far as I know Zest Air, Cebu Pacific and SEA Air don’t carry animals on their planes. I’m not sure with Philippine Airlines, so you can call and ask.

9. Rose says:

Hi Scott,
    I’m coming back to the philippines, I want to bring my toy puddle,
    when do I need to process his vaccination, is it 1 month before the
    flight? And I leave here in japan,and my dog vet can’t speak in English,
    do I need to translate the health certificate in English?

Hi Rose,

As far as I know you won’t need any vaccinations coming from Japan. The health certificate should be in English. Make sure You book your dog on the flight now. Also contact the Philippine Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI), Animal Health Division (AHD) and follow the rest of the information in my article. It’s really simple to bring pets into the Philippines.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Scott

10. Brad F. says:

Hi Scott!

Thanks for the great article. Thanks for the tip about the budget airlines. Glad I didn’t book the tickets yet. I didn’t even think of that.

I’m trying to bring in 3 cats from Singapore. I’m wondering if you know, do the health certificates required for the cats have to be certified by a government agency (ie the Agriculture and Veterinary Association) or do they just need to be from a veterinarian?

All the legalese used in the websites is giving me a headache and I’m quickly filling up a little notebook with notes to try to sort through it!

Hi Brad,
      When I came from Korea I got certification from my vet about my cats general health and vaccinations, and then just to be sure I went into the City Hall and got their person in charge of animal matters to put together a certificate saying that there were no rabies cases within a certain distance around the city. You can never be too careful and it really wasn’t much hassle anyway.

Hope that helps.

11. Marge says:

great post scott. very useful. im taking our cats here to phils this may and we were looking for info on how to bring them home. your site has everything we were looking for!

12. Nikki says:

hey scott,
    omg im havin the same problem T.T i live here in Japan now but i have to go back to Philippines to for college. I’m plannin to take my pug with me since ill be stayin there for a long while. But my vet cant understand a word im sayin coz he dont understand english. Now he somehow made a certificate stating her previous anti rabies vaccination. is there any other documents like certifications i need to prepare aside from the one you mentioned that i should get from the city hall? im really worried…

Hi Nikki,

You need to show proof that your pug was vaccinated for :

I believe that Japan has rabies cases so you might want to make a trip to city hall and ask for a certificate or just a letter from their person in charge of animal health. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

If you don’t speak Japanese then ask one of your friends or coworkers who does to come with you to make things easier.

Hope that helps.

• Brad F. says:

By the way, what sort of proof do they need for external treatment of parasites? Will a home movie of me giving them a bath with flea and tick shampoo work? 8P

• Scott says:

Hehe. No I don’t think a home movie will do. Get your vet to administer the revolution or whatever brand and record it in the cat’s vaccination/health book. That’s the safest bet. I’ll have to check but I think that it was also in the paperwork that I got from my vet. I also know that in some revolution packs you get little stickers that you can put in the health book and write the date next to them.

Let me know how things go and feel free to post your experiences here so anyone coming from Singapore can learn from your experience.

• Brad F. says:

Thanks again. I certainly will. I’m expecting this all to happen around the beginning of May, if I can get all of my affairs in order in time.

13. Nikki says:

LMFAO guess what! i went to the city hall today Scott, and almost all of the staff there gathered around me in amazement. they said im the first person asking them to issue a certification / clearance for rabies cases. they adviced me to go to my vet and get a health certificate instead T.T. *sigh* these japanese are drivin me nuts *sobs*

14. Milette says:

Hi Scott.

I am bringing my shih tzu back to Manila. How did Customs determine the value of your pet ? What if my dog was given to me? how do they determine the value?
    Do they have a book for this and would you know how much a shih tzu would be taxed? Thanks a lot!

Hi Milette,

I just told them my cat cost $15. They determine it on what you tell them your pet cost. I mean most people don’t keep records of how much their pets cost and you can get pedigree dogs and cats from animal shelters for next to nothing. I think it’s just a bit of a scam to get a bit of extra cash from you. Whatever you say the cost is you have to pay 50% of that + 10% tax.

15. Aaron says:

High Scott, my wife and I plan on traveling to Cebu P.I. this summer with our small Yorkshire Terrier, her weight is 4.3 pounds. We have already confirmed her with the airline. And plan on carrying her in the cabin and in an approved pet travel bag and placing her under the seat in front of us as the airline requires. This is a 15 hour flight, non stop. We have made the flight many times but this is the first with a pet. Do you have any experience with this. Potty breaks, drinking, eating, happy pills. thank you, Aaron

Hi Aaron,

I have not had experience with pets on a flight that long. However, I’ll ask around and see what some of my friends can suggest. Personally I’m very cautious about giving drugs to my pets so I would recommend having a good talk with your vet about that first. As for drinks and food, your dog may be a bit stressed and not want to drink or eat. My cat Aslan didn’t touch a drop of water during his four hour flight from Korea to the Philippines. Maybe bring some treats and a container for water and just offer it from time to time. As for potty breaks, I know you can get absorbant pads from most vets and if that fails bring a newspaper and just take your dog to the toilet from time to time. Also it may help if you train your dog to associate newpaper with going to the toilet before you leave (That’s if she wants to go to the toilet at all). But as I said I will ask some of the other people I know who’ve brought pets from far away and I’ll let you know if they have any useful tips for you.

All the best

Scott

Hi again Aaron,
      I asked around and here is someone else’s experience of a long flight with dogs. Hope it helps.

“I traveled from Manila to Athens, Greece, last year, with my two chihuahuas. The flight is 16 hours long, with one 1,5 hour stop in Dubai. They were both in their own travel carrier and were placed below the seat in front of us.
      We had traveled with just the one dog previously but never with both of them. Their reaction was different.

One dog was fine, I had wee-wee pads with me (those flat sheets that look like Pampers) and every 2-3 hours I took the carrier to the lavatory, placed the pad on the floor, removed him from the carrier and let him on the floor for a few minutes to stretch and pee. Throughout the whole flight, he only peed twice (no poo). Also I had some dry food with me and water and gave him every 2-3 hours but he didn’t really feel like eating anything.

Also, let me mention that my dogs are not used to being in a crate so they REALLY didn’t like being in it. The flight was an all-nighter so after takeoff, and when the lights were dimmed, I covered my lap with the blanket, removed the dog from the carrier and placed him on my lap under the blanket. Some flight attendants saw this and didn’t say anything, others insisted we put him back in the carrier…. As I said, we did this a few times with the male dog but never with both.

Now with the second dog, its another story. She was fine in her carrier until the engines started! She completely freaked out, started hyperventilating, panting like crazy (tongue out, salivating and everything), and shaking. Since she is small (only 1.8 kilos) I removed her from the carrier and placed her on my lap under the blanket right from the beginning (before take off). She wouldn’t calm down, so after take off I asked the flight attendant for a Dramamine pill (anti-nausea pill that has the side effect of making you drowsy and sleepy) and gave the dog 1/4 of the pill (I had asked the vet about the dosage beforehand, but thought that since the male dog was fine, she’d be fine too, so I didn’t take any drugs with me). 20 minuted later she was sleeping like a baby for the rest of the flight. And for the whole 16 hours she didn’t pee at all!

After that we concluded that you can never know or anticipate how your dog will be. Just be prepared for everything.
      The only sure thing is that i don’t think the dogs would appreciate being in the carrier for 16 hours. If you can sneak the dog under your blanket, I would suggest that.”

16. Meredith says:

Hey Scott,

I’m thinking of taking my cat with me from South Korea to the Philippines in August (as opposed to sending him to the US with my brother). The info you have given is really helpful…thanks! I was wondering how common pet stores are there? Would it be relatively easy for me to find name-brand food as well as a litter box, litter, etc.?

Also, do you know anyone who has shipped their pets alone? I have a month between contracts and think it would be pure torture to make him do 18hrs and then turn around 4 weeks later and do 25. The 4 hr flight seems like the best choice, but it makes me nervous to think he’ll be doing it alone in case he freaks out like the chihuahua above.

Thanks!
    Mer

Hi Meredith,

You can get Whiskas, Friskees and Fancy Feast here among others. There are heaps of pet stores where you can find everything you need. Check out my article on pet stores in Manila on this site. I’m not 100% sure but I think you need to be with your pets when you land unless you have organised someone to pick them up and have asked permission from customs to do so. Contact the customs people I mentioned in this article to find out about that. If you need someone to look after your cat for a month contact CARA (Compassion And Responsibility for Animals) and they should be able to connect you with someone.

PS. Remember that it can be tricky getting pets out of the Philippines. I’ll be taking mine to Australia and it’s gonna be quite a long process. So check the quarantine site of your home country to find out about the process first.

Good Luck.

17. Gustav says:

Hi Scott,
    thank you so much for all the infos you share. I really appreciate your help.
    Planning to travel to the Philippines from Europe with my cat. I’ve heard some almost frightening stories before – but thanks to you now I am much more relaxed :)
    Wish you all the best – thanks again :)

18. Mandy says:

Hi Scott,

Great blog! I was wondering if you have any experience with bringing in turtles as pets? I really don’t want to leave my pet turtle behind.

Hi Mandy,

Sorry, I’ve got no experience with turtles. Send an email to the BAI and they should be able to tell you everything you need to know.

19. Brian says:

I would like to fly my Adult Great Dane and my domestic Cat from Philippines to Toronto, Canada. I am shocked with the prices I am being quoted.. over 3 times the cost of my own ticket.

Any suggestions for safe and affordable ways of flying my buddies with me to Canada?

Any help is appreciated!!

Hi Brian,

That sounds like a crazy amount to pay. I’m taking my cats to Vietnam this week and the price I was told by Philippine airlines is $9 per kilo. I guess a Great Dane is pretty heavy though. All airlines that carry pets will charge their excess baggage rate to carry your pets. There’s no cheaper way than that, but the excess baggage rates differ between airlines. So just check which airlines ply that route and go with the one with the cheapest rates.

• Brad F. says:

Hey Scott,

I just used PAL on the 6th to get my cats into the Philippines. I was charged 20.50 SGD per kilo. We were quoted a much lower rate, but that’s what they hit us with when we got to the check in counter. I’m glad I had some extra cash on me or it might have caused a problem. Just thought I’d give you a heads up, so you’re not caught off-guard.

Hi Brad,

Just checked with PAL again. The cashier at the airport confirmed that it’s $9 per kilo. But I’ll take extra anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

20. MIEL says:

Hello,Scott

Your blog is very helpful
    I am about to travel with my 1 yr.old shih tzu dog , i am wondering if there will be a problem since we are flying from tokyo to hongkong then philippines

its just a short stop over(about an hour) our main destination is the philippines

do you have an idea if i will also be asked for more documents during the stop over at hongkong???

my dog is about 6klg

thanks in advance

Hi Miel,

I’m not sure with transferring through different countries as I’ve never done that before. I know that Japan and Hong Kong are both countries approved by Australian quarantine so they have some tougher standards when it comes to importing pets.
      I know that for Taiwan, they will not accept any pets that have been brought through mainland China so it is possible that in Hong Kong you will have to have your dog examined. But I think speaking to your vet is the best way to get the correct information. To be extra sure I also suggest having all the necessary documents prepared and with you anyway.
      Also, just to let you know, if you are travelling with PAL from HK to Manila then your dog cannot go on the flight as they do not pressurize the cargo for that route.

Hope this helps.

21. Brian says:

Hi and thanks for your tips.. I spoke to PAL, thought Manila to Vancouver and then get a connecting flight. However I got bounced around to 8 people and got 8 different answers regarding bringing my Great Dane with me. So I am still in the dark regarding the cost.

I am working with Cargo forwarders, and a few travel agencies, in addition to contacting various airlines direct. In my mind… there must be an error.. how could Max be triple the cost to fly in Cargo when I am flying in Cabin. Just makes no sense, or at least I hope I’m given wrong quotes. $3500 usd each way is a huge chunk of change.

Hi Brian,
      I’m in Vietnam right now and my 2 cats and their cases came to a total of 21kg, which cost around US$170. PAL were really helpful and did all they could to help during check-in. Finding out information was a little tricky though. If you’re going with PAL ask for their International bookings number cause I found the people there to be the most knowledgeable and helpful.

Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll do my best to help you out. Good luck!

22. Jay says:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for your blog, this was really a great info and can be used as a guidelines to everyone who wish to bring their pet along with them, I will be using this as my first step for I have the same situatiation like the others because I just bought my dog pet here in China for the cost of 10 RMB (about 1.50 USD) because it’s not a special breed but only a chinese native dog just to have a companion at my place since I’m working here as an OFW but when I showed my dog to my family in Philippines they would wish if I could bring him home and then I started to look for the internet about the procedure on how to import pets to Philippines.

23. donna says:

thanks for the post it helps me alot! i am planing to bring my jack Russell terrier with me shes our baby coz we dont have a kid shes 17.80 lbs. do you know if they will let me take her to a cabin with me so i can watch her. shes always hyper do you think talking to her vet for her to be sedated for the flight is best and i have almost 24 hours flight from U.S to Phil. and 3 stops is their any possibility that i might lost her during the flight if she will be put in cargo? lastly, i went to the http://www.bai.ph and printed the Application Form for VQC to Import Live Animals. is it valid? the other month i called the BAI to request a form but they dont ans. i sent an email to request a form i didnt receive nothing from them!
    hoping you can ans. some of my Q. thanks alot. take care!

Hi Donna,
      Yes, the form is valid. As for taking your dog in the cabin, you will have to check with the airline as they all have different rules. It’s your call when it comes to sedating your dog, I personally do not do it with my cats and they have been fine. However, some animals do get very stressed. I suggest that you sit down and discuss it with a good vet. As for whether you will lose her in transit, it shouldn’t happen. I am always extra vigilant and ask a million people where my cats are and if they are on the flight when I travel, that’s the only assurance I can really give you.

Good luck!

24. Michelle says:

Seeing as how you’ve been to Taiwan as well, would you possibly know how to exactly fly a dog/animal from Kaohsiung straight to Manila? Is the process pretty much the same as it is in your main article? I’m having a hard time finding someone who won’t give me a “just leave your dog behind”, “ask your vet” (who told me to ask someone else, although it’s possible my chinese is so bad I just didn’t understand him) or “the process is long and complicated” response. My dog is a street dog, about 12 kgs., I’m also planning on taking China Airlines. And also, around how much would it cost overall? (just a general estimate, in NT, or peso?)

Hi Michelle,
      I’m not sure if China Airlines carry pets. I forget which airline carries pets between Taiwan and Manila but I know there is one because I checked earlier this year. As for bringing pets into Manila it should be the same as my article, and it should be easy coming from Taiwan as they have very strict animal quarantine laws….Going from Manila to Taiwan is the more difficult route. The prices when you arrive in Manila should be the same as in the article. In regards to cargo, costs vary between airlines. If someone tells you it is a long and difficult process don’t bother listening to them, because it shouldn’t be.

25. judith says:

Hi Scott! You’re a saviour! Your article is very precious for me.
    I am about to travel back to the Philippines from Italy and wants to bring my semi long haired cat (7.5kg)with me. She is not a pure-bred, just a “bastarda” as what the veterinarian told me last time. She never had any vaccination, and I have about a month to prepare her papers (hope I have enough time?). I’m off to the veterinarian on MOnday to get some information.
    Another worry though is that since the health booklet & certificate will surely be written not in English but in Italian, will my own written translation be enough? Also, I read from other sites that these should be brought to the embassy for authentication (ridiculous but if it is necessary…sigh).
    Thanks! And more power!!

Hi Judith,

As far as I know, the translation should be signed by a local government authority or registered vet. I don’t think you should have to take your cat to the embassy, but Italy may have special rules so it never hurts to call and check. You much have all the vaccinations up to date as well as treatment for internal and external parasites.

Good luck and let me know how things go.

Scott

26. azzun says:

Hi Scott,
    I’m taking my 50kg dog to the philippines from australia and i want him to be in the same flight as i am with PAL by Nov…did you had much trouble taking your pet to the philippines such as red tapes in gov departments involve in the importation? your advice will be mostly appreciated…thanks and cheers

Hi Azzun,

from Australia to the Philippines you should be fine. I had no troubles whatsoever. Just follow the information in this article and you should be fine.

27. Julius says:

Contact the Philippine Embassy or nearest Consulate General in your location. In the Philippines, contact the Philippine Bureau of Animal Industry, Animal Health Division (AHD) regarding current regulations:
    Tel: (632) 928-2743/2836
    Fax: (632) 928-1778
    All dogs and cats must have an import permit to enter the Philippines. According to the AHD, a letter or application of request to import should be sent or faxed to the AHD, Quezon City.
    • Species
    • Number of Animals
    • Sex
    • Age
    The AHD will send the import permit to you and collect an issuance fee of P50 upon arrival at the airport.
    • The importation is subject to the following conditions: a health certificate issued within 10 days of shipping signed by a licensed vet certifying that the animal has been examined and is free from communicable diseases.
    • In countries that are not free from rabies, an additional certification is required stating that there have been no rabies cases within a twenty kilometer radius from the point of origin in the last 6 months.

28. Amy says:

Hi Scott,

You are an “angel” to everybody who wants to bring love pets back home. Information are very helpful. I have a male Golden retriever here in China (Dongguan City) since last year I am planning to bring him home but I don’t know if Chinese government allows exporting pets. Do you have any idea? One of my Hongkongnese friend said that it is not easy for me to proccess documents here in China, she suggest to let my dog slip (backdoor) to HK boarder so I can flight my dog from HK to Manila. Actualy my place is in Davao City so I have to do connecting flight then. But I cannot afford if something happend with my dog. He is my baby..Please give me some of your idea what to do.

29. Mark says:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the information on bringing pets to the Philippines. It saved me many hours of research! I want to bring a lab puppy from the States to Manila via Korean Airlines and was told the cost was $220 and nothing more than 70lbs including the crate. So this part is fine although rather expensive. Now to get the dog from Manila via the domestic carrier on an hour flight to Mindanao…I have been told they do not accept pets….so it appears then you have to go on a 2 day boat ride… does anyone know a different way as this information of no pets on domestic carriers was told to me by Philippine Airlines.

If anyone has information to help pls let this group know. Also as the puppy was free in cost…I have a notarized document…but will this be acceptable or what should i do on his value?

Thanks so much.

• Brad F. says:

After having been in the country for a while, I encourage you to call PAL a few more times and ask different CSRs, and then maybe ask the manager on duty just for good measure. Often, CSRs won’t know the answer and will just tell you anything to make it look like they’re doing their jobs properly.

When I entered the country with my 3 cats, we told the customs people that two were adopted and one was picked up from the street, so they had no monetary value. We weren’t asked to pay any duty. I think it was easy for us to get away with since they’re obviously not of any prized breed. If you have a notarized document, just be firm with them when you get there that you didn’t pay for the puppy so there’s nothing to tax. Make sure you show them the document right away. Chances are they’ll be so amused with seeing your dog coming into the airport they won’t care too much about collecting that fee forcefully anyway.

Hi Mark,

In regards to the cost of the puppy. Just say that you got him from a shelter for $10 to be safe. That’s what I did with my cat who came from the street in Korea.
      I’m sad to say that as far as I know the information you have about domestic carriers is correct. I will ask around and see if there are any airlines, but I think the RORO is your main option. I’ll get back to you on that one as soon as I can.

Best of luck!

Ok Mark, I just got this reply from someone who works for CARA in Manila:

I think you can send animals via Cebu Pacific Cargo. I know several people who have done so. I suggest the person call and inquire. Info below:

CARGO SALES DIRECTORY

Telephone: (02) 851 4138
        Email Address : cargocare@cebupacificair.com
        CARGO FUEL DIRECTORY
        Telefax: (02) 852 5426
        Telephone: (02) 851 1504

30. Maria Smith says:

Hi Scott… I’m here in Korea now but i will be leaving for manila on November! I have a pomeranian dog that weighs more than 10 lbs. and I really want him to be with me in Manila. My husband and I bought him at yongsan and we are living in busan now… Do i need to travel back to yongsan so i can have him check to his vet there and get some paper works done? pls. reply! thanks! – maria

31. adrian says:

Scott

on my part, i have to spent P50,000+ to have my cat shipped from abu dhabi to philippines, i still do not know if the American Veterinary clinic will still charge me if they will know that my cat will be still travelling to davao as most of the Etihad flights are only flying to Manila. import permit will be process by my sister and my wife will be receiving the cat in Davao Airport. my cat is named “muning” is very stress at this times and very uncomfortable at my present situation as i am sharing a room with so many different people though Filipinos are so inconsiderate and selfish!
    i just wish this dilemma will be over as i hate seeing my cat disturb and me as well. i personally thank my bed spacemate who look after muning if i will go for work. i am very emotional at this times as i have to borrow money and pay with interest just to finish this moment muning and i is with.

32. adrian says:

update on muning:

she is now in the philippines but still in the airport as the custom officer is asking P3575 for the release of my cat. the alibi that shes a street cat didnt work out as they are tellin something about the freight somethin :(
    my oh my! leave the poor animal you corrupt people that pulls my beloved country to the abyss :(

Hi Adrian,

I really don’t understand why they would have kept your cat in the first place. If you had all of your papers ready and met the requirements, you should have gone through the airport with your cat in under 30 minutes. If you didn’t have everything prepared, then I can understand why you are having these problems.

33. Marisa says:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for sharing this very informative article. It’s like a wikipedia on cat/dog importation to Philippines.

34. maria says:

hi scott,

im coming from toronto flying to cebu on may 6 2011, this are korean req

Customs documentation (2 copies)
    Rabies vaccination certificate (2 copies)
    Documentation provided by the animal quarantine office (2 copies)

do you know where to get that customs documentation or that is the import permit from bai

please rply im so stress

Hi Maria,

As far as I know that’s from BAI. Best to contact them and check anyway.

• ria says:

yeah i did call BAI thanks scott…. can you recommend me what local flight that is safe for my shih tzu ( cebu pacific or PAL) i called both airline and they assured me they will take care of my shih tzu but im scared or should i take a ferry vessel from manila to cebu. Lastly if we take korean air we will be in cebu 11 pm do they have available quarantine officer to check out my shih tzu?

Hi ria,

The quarantine staff only work during business hours, so if you arrive at 11pm your dog will have to spend a night at the airport. I wasn’t aware that PAL carried animals on domestic flights, but if they do then I fully recommend that you go with them. They were really helpful when I took my 2 cats from Manila to Saigon back in May.

Let me know how everything goes.

35. adrian says:

muning is in davao now.

36. juncay says:

Thanks Scott, this really helps!

I have a 2.5kg Pomeranian here in mainland China. Once it’s time for me to go home for good, I can go back to this website for the importing procedure.

Hey, when you have the experience of bringing your pet to mainland China, please send me a note.

My wife has been telling me that she wants to bring our Pom to Philippines and back to China in one of our vacations. I am worried on the cost involve in bringing the pet back to China as I heard from one of the foreign pastor here that it cost him RMB15,000 (approx US$2,250) for his dog to enter mainland China from Taiwan (and that was 2 years ago, I wonder how much it cost now). :-)

Thanks again!

juncay

Hi Juncay,

Importing pets from China to any country is difficult as China has all of the bad diseases and very bad disease control. I would seriously advise contacting the animal health organisation in any country you wish to take your pet to and see if you can bring your pet from China.
      I had the option of moving to China earlier this year, but I turned it down because I knew it would be hard to take my cats to any other country after China.

37. cliff cooke says:

hi scot, very good read as i want to bring my cat from scotland cheers mate

38. JM says:

Hi scot,

I wanted to adopt a red earslider from an owner in Virgina, USA. And I am in iloilo city, in the visayas region. My questions are: What should I do on my end so that I won’t have to go to manila? Is it possible that the turtles be flown directly here in iloilo since there is an international airport here aso?

Hi JM,

I believe that Iloilo Airport is an airport of an International standard, but has no International flights. If you don’t want to go through Manila, then you will have to look into Kalibo or Cebu. I believe Kalibo has flights from Incheon, South Korea. So you can look into sending the turtle to Korea first and then to Kalibo and then just drive up from Iloilo to pick it up. However, I am not sure what quarantine is like at Kalibo airport, so I would advise calling them first.

If you have further questions please ask and I can do a little research for you and ask around for the best route.

39. jeanette palma says:

hi scott,

ur blog is really helpful and u seemed very knowledgable with this article.
    i’ve been looking around on how can take my 2 husky puppies which is both 4 months old to DUBAI from PHILIPPINES. im here based in UAE now and with regards to arrival here theres no problem only in departure from philippines.
    like the papers etc. also the prices of exporting them.?…what kind of airlines and prices.?..do i need passport ?
    and where can i avail it?
    pls help me coz i still have a month to organize those…pls help me with the information or the people who should i contact and inquire for the prices…
    im dying to get them but they would be travelling alone that why i really need help with the more experienced like you..
    THANKS A LOT AND GODBLESS…

40. cherry says:

Scott,
    Great postings – just one point of clarification – if I am travelling home to Davao city from Kuala Lumpur with my cat, will I need to have my cat in quarantine for any length of time on arrival or is this not required?

41. Chel says:

Hi Scott,

Can you recommend an airline which can ship 8 to 10 dogs (1 Maltese and 9 half-breed Poodles) from Japan to the Philippines? They are more or less 2 years old. PAL stated that only 1 dog per passenger is allowed. Is it some sort of control policy? Is there an easier way to ship all dogs in one flight? Can you also recommend a cargo ship which can be a possible alternative?

Thanks for your time.

42. leah says:

hi scott! your blog is very informative specially to those who doesn’t have any experience with this matter….

anyway, this coming april i’ll be having a vacation in US and when i come back here in Phils i wish to bring along my adopted pet there going here(it’s a shihtzu)…. i will follow your guideline but i just want to ask if i still need a permit in korea since korean air will be our airline and will have a stop-over for 3-4hrs, then from korea to manila? coz it ill be my first time to do it so i still doesn’t know how….thanks much

43. Scott says:

Hi Leah,

I’m not 100% sure about transit through Korea. I’ve done some research and it depends on a number of different factors. If you are staying with the same airline it should be fine. If you are changing airlines you will have to go through quarantine. If your transit time is short there should be no problem, but if you’re in Korea for a long time you may have to go through quarantine. I would suggest that you contact KAL and ask them directly to be 100% sure, and when you know please post the info here so that we can help other people transporting their pets.

Best of luck!

44. Bryan says:

Hi scott! Your blog is so helpful. Am planning to import an alaskan malamute soon in the philippines for pet and i will follow all your guidelines. I already contacted philippine airlines with the cost of bringing the dog from bangkok to philippines and more or less i have the idea on how much am going to pay for the airline.

The only thing that i have been thinking about is the duty and taxes am going to pay at the customs in philippines. I know its 50%+10% of the pets value. But the alaskan malamute am bringing in is a gift from a friend in bangkok. Do they have like a value chart there or do they know how much the cost of the malamute is? Or should i just give them any amount, let say 100usd.? Am a little bit worried because alaskan malamute is quite expensive if you are going to buy it and am afraid they might base it that way.

I hope you can help me with my concerns.

ThAnks a lot scott!!

Hi Bryan,

They don’t have any chart on prices for animals because they vary from country to country. Also, pure-breeds can also be found in Animal Shelters. Like I wrote in the article, Aslan was a street cat but I just said I paid $15 for him just to avoid any problems. So just give them a small amount at quarantine and all should be fine.

• charles says:

hi nice article its very helpful,i am planning to bring home some new breeds of hamsters from singapore is that possible?and what papers will i bring and secure is it the same as for cats and dogs,and can i carry them inside the plane i mean with in my lap..i am planning to put them in a small box,and can seem to email the bai.ph ……sigh……

45. Scott says:

Hi Charles,

I can’t say that I’m 100% certain for hamsters. You might find this site useful – http://www.chanrobles.com/legal3dabai.html , but as far as I can see the import conditions would be the same unless the class the hamsters as exotic animals. If you are in Singapore, I would recommend calling the Philippine Consulate and checking with them. If you are in Manila, try calling BAI to get a faster reply (the number is in the article).
    Let me know what you find out.

Thanks

Scott

46. gracey says:

hi scott,

ur blog is truly a heaven sent…

is this also the same process for bringing a st. bernard puppy from Perth to Manila?

47. charles says:

hi scott

so first ill need to send the chairman a letter then ill wait for the permit?how many days till ill receive the permit and is it a letter or a email that i will print?second then ill secure a health certificate then have it authenticated by the phil. consulate general is it necesarry or the health certificate is ok as it is?and how about the CITES where do i get them?and should i get one?

48. Claire says:

I’m adopting a cat maybe this week and I’m planning on taking her home on vacation with me to the Philippines.

Does she need pet passport?

49. Lynn says:

Sott,

I live in the USA and have a neutered male 6 year old toliet trained cat that I want to bring to the Philippines. My daughter-in-law and grand-daughter and I are supposed to fly into Cebu and the cat will be my “carry-on”. What permits and arrangements to I need to get to get my boy into Cebu and can these permits and fees mentioned be obtained in Cebu rather than Manila? My daughter-in-law is Filipina and has relatives and friends in Cebu that could take care of things there if we can find out where to go and the costs, and is Cebu a international port of entry.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. We are leaving in 1 month to fly to Cebu.

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

It’s exactly the same for Cebu. Still contact BAI and then go from there. One of my friends brought 4 cats from the US to Cebu and had no problems, but she also used a pet relocator. If you would like to know the name of the pet relocator she used I can ask for you.

50. jane nojima says:

hi!Im living in japan I want to bring my shizu to philippine.do i need to translate all the papers in english cause its written in japannese.